Monday, February 14, 2011

Interview With Emperor Kangxi


Emperor Kangxi: Hello Nate. How are you?

Nate: Very well, thanks.  Before we begin, I just wanted to thank you for partaking in this interview.  To begin, I’d like for you to explain a little bit about how you got to this point in your life, for some viewers out there who aren’t familiar with Chinese history.

A portrait of Emperor Kangxi
Emperor Kangxi: Yes of course.  Let’s start at the very beginning then.  I took over the throne at the age of eight, after my father Shunzhi stepped down.  Many officials were appointed to oversee the country before I was old enough to do so myself.  As my age increased, by duties did the same, and before I knew it, I was fully operating the government of China!

Nate: That’s quite a story.  How do you think your experience with Prime Minister Ao Bai help you succeed in ruling China?

Emperor Kangxi: I believe that my experience with Ao Bai greatly improved my ability to rule.  The whole deal definitely opened my eyes to the things that occur in the world.  You know when you’re a kid and you’re protected by those around you, it seems like the world is a perfect place.  The whole investigation really forced me to look directly at the horrible things that take place. (Prime Minister Ao Bai was removed of his position after he was found to be corrupt. Ao Bai was one of the people who had helped to nurture and teach Kangxi.)

Nate: Yes, I think we can all agree that it was a tough time for us all.  What can you tell us about the tours you made to visit many regions of Southern China.  Why did you go to so much trouble to personally see some parts of your country?

Emperor Kangxi: To me, it’s pretty simple.  The people of China need a ruler that understands the conditions that they are living in.  And there’s no better way to get an idea of what life is like in the cities and villages of China than to see it with my own eyes.  Also, my visiting government establishments on these trips helps to keep my officials on their toes.

Nate: What have you done to advance China technologically?

Emperor Kangxi: I feel that I’ve made many advancements, especially on the front of astronomy and mathematics.  This is somewhat due to the coming of the Jesuits from Europe, who brought many new ideas and inventions with them.  By welcoming them into the country we are effectively advancing China on many fronts.

Nate: That’s a very interesting way to look at it.  One last question: In the future what are you going to try to change and/or improve about the country of China?

Emperor Kangxi: As always, I’m working for the people of China.  I’ll do whatever it takes to improve the quality of the average citizen’s life.  This could mean building new means of transportation, lowering taxes, or creating more jobs.


No comments:

Post a Comment